Friday, February 12, 2010

BRISOC's Islamic Awareness Week

hair low guys.

I just wanted to drop by to talk briefly about the islamic awareness week we had here in Bristol over the past week. I was writing a detailed review of the event but I realize I don't have much time in going over every talk although I want to because they're all too good to leave out, but I guess I will do so another time. For now, I'll just share some of my thoughts... as usual.

It was truly an amazing event - in the sense where it was an open door of knowledge for both Muslims and non-Muslims. It was vital for non-Muslims particularly to access TRUE concepts about Islam instead of 'learning' it from the media *WHISTLE* But it was as essential for me to make use of the events because obviously whilst I'm still learning, it helped me to connect some veins that were disconnected. It was 'Discover Islam' week and to be frank, there are so many levels that even Muslims haven't discovered and the event was certainly a platform to do so.

The talks offered interesting topics but essentially shared a lot of grounds i.e. purpose, God's indisputable existence, etc. I enjoyed most of them too especially question and answer sessions. And you get to hear classical questions as well as well thought out ones nonetheless being able to hear several takes on the subject is sufficiently refreshing. Some speakers were inevitably more enjoyable than others to me but they all had different strengths in terms of style really. Adam Deen presented his counter argument to Richard Dawkins' the God Delusion which was relatively more scientific than others. It was really good actually although felt slightly lost during some points only because I contain limited knowledge about what he was saying. His responses were well articulated and I thought he was pretty impressive overall. Just pointing out to a slight turn off though in one of the talks, the speaker was more than slightly politically geared (hint guy running for Parliament) and sort of left some people confused with what he was really trying to convey and he was aggressive too and of which both factors made my face feel hot with tension. *insert inability to adapt to awkward situations*. Then there was the multifaith panel they had; islam, Christianity and judaism. That was great you know incorporating other religions into the event so people can compare and see what they're like, etc. But personally I thought it would have been nicer if they had a panel for atheism (which is ironically no faith to be included in a multifaith panel), or something other than Christianity or Judaism i.e. Hinduism, Buddhism of which I find to be pretty inaccessible so that would have been more interesting I think. The finale in particular was amazing. It really was icing on the cake, with cherry on top. If you guys get a chance to attend a talk by Hamza Andreas Tzortzis, do make some time because the guy's breadth of knowledge is astounding. He was incredibly engaging- loved his style, his presentation, his interaction with the audience; it was light and casual yet respectable. RECOGNISE

It is quite sad that it's over because I was really getting used to listening to the talks and having constant reminders to such a forgetful mind like mine was a treat. Alhamdulillah. What struck me at every talk I attended was how amazing it felt to be a believer. I sat there and I listened to their arguments of which I was nodding along to, because I was already convinced and then I thought a lot of other people particularly non-Muslims must certainly challenge some concepts in their minds. I don't know if you guys are getting my point but it just felt so much of a blessing you know, that Allah almost intrinsically, if I can say that, granted me with such faith. Although it was shaky and imperfect, even today, I can't deny so but it was still a blessing that He granted me an environment or a background that accentuated a life towards pleasing Him. So much so that I need not question Him to such degrees that non-Muslims probably would. But you know Allah has plans for everyone, but bottom line is it was just a realization of another one of His infinite blessings so syukur Alhamdulillah.

conclusively, i just pray that i would be able to apply what i learnt towards improving my submission to Allah, insyaAllah.. as they said IAS has ended but our journey continues. I know, that was slightly a tacky goodbye send off message but it's extremely true so you know. okay wow, so much for brief eh?

Salam

No comments: